Sunday, January 31, 2016

Books

I see that I have neglected my Dutch blog for a VERY long time. This post (below) was written in 2011! I'll be going through some more Dutch things and writing about these past years between now and then (when I abandoned my dutch blog). I decided to just post this how I left it, So here you go...

Sky A true story of Resistance During WWII by Hanneke Ippisch.  This is a wonderfully written memoir that was very hard to put down. Resistance workers did many brave things during the war.

Amsterdam: Made by Hand by Pia Jane Bijkerk gives great ideas of shops and cafes to visit while in Amsterdam. The author aranged them into numbered "wanders" which I love. If you follow a certain "wander" you will find the featured shops (and more) all in that area or street.

The Great Tulip Trade by Beth Wagner Brust, illustrated by Jenny Mattheson is a children's book about the tulip mania in Dutch history. It was greatly enjoyed by myself and my son (so much so that I had to renew it two times from the library).

Blueberries for the Queen by Katherine and John Paterson, illustrated by Susan Jeffers. This book was also repeatedly renewed from the library by request of my son. I loved the illustrations and the story is so sweet and based on truth!

Dutch Poetry in Translation: Kaleidoscope from Medieval Times to the Present with Parallel Dutch Text Translated by Martijn Zwart together with Ethel Grene. I liked how this book had the Dutch poem first and then the translation. It was fun to read through the Dutch and then see if I had translated it the right way in my head (I'm still learning Dutch). Very nice selection of poems.

No comments:

Post a Comment